Thursday October 17, 2019
Aug-14-2012 22:45TweetFollow @OregonNews
Kaiser Permanente Northwest Awards $9,000 Grant to YWCA SalemSalem-News.com
In 2011, YWCA Salem helped nearly 7,000 people in the Salem/Keizer area.
(SALEM) - YWCA Salem is grateful to have received a $9,000 grant from Kaiser Permanente Northwest on July 26, 2012. The Grant will help cover the cost of Family Assistants who work the overnight and weekend shifts at the YWCA Salem Outreach Shelter. The shelter operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days per year. The purpose of “Keeping Homeless Kids and Families Safe: Funding Family Assistant Staff” is to partially fund positions to ensure 24-hour/seven day a week staff presence for the entire year, providing children and families with a sense of security that someone will respond to any urgent requests or emergencies.
YWCA Salem provides crucial services for local women and families in need, including YWCA’s Salem Outreach Shelter, a one-of-a-kind transitional housing program that keeps families together and helps them become self-sufficient; breast cancer education, screening and support; education for divorcing parents and their children; and, leadership and life skills training for young women and girls.
In 2011, YWCA Salem helped nearly 7,000 people in the Salem/Keizer area:
· 245 homeless individuals found safety and support in YWCA’s Salem Outreach Shelter, including 74 families and 141 children. Still, an average of 50 families are on the YWCA’s waiting list this year, more than ever in its history.
· 679 uninsured at-risk women received free mammograms and breast exams who otherwise couldn’t afford them. Meanwhile, government agencies are cancelling patients’ appointments due to budget cuts; those patients are calling the YWCA to help with medical care.
· 350 elementary school-aged girls realized their potential to succeed in areas of science, technology, engineering, and math through YWCA’s DaVinci Girls program. More girls want to participate than we can accommodate.
· 1,450 parents learned positive ways to guide their children through the painful experience of divorce. More low-income children could be served if new sessions could be funded.
· 40 young adults strengthened their leadership, organizational, and planning skills by participating in YWCA’s Youth Leadership Council, which planned and developed the SnoBall benefit dance.
· Hundreds more were impacted by YWCA Salem’s Health and Empowerment Services programs and activities.
About Kaiser Permanente Northwest
Kaiser Permanente Northwest is part of the national Kaiser Permanente network, one of America’s leading health care providers and nonprofit health plans. Kaiser Permanente Northwest serves about 480,000 members in northwestern Oregon and Southwest Washington. Through its dedication to care innovations, electronic medical records clinical research, health education, and community health, Kaiser Permanente is helping shape the future of health care in America. For more information, go to kp.org/newscenter.
About Kaiser Permanente’s Community Benefit Program
Kaiser Permanente Northwest’s community Benefit program contributes millions of dollars each year to support a range of programs, projects, and organizations that contribute to individual and community health. Contributions focus on five broad categories: care and coverage for low-income people, safety net partnerships, community health initiatives, developing and disseminating knowledge, and civic engagement. In 2010, Kaiser Permanente Northwest contributed almost $120 million in cash and in-kind donations to the communities in its service area.
YWCA Salem keeps our primary focus on meeting the needs of our local community while working to maintain the National YWCA’s goals and objectives. YWCA Salem is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all by providing the necessary skills, resources, and opportunities that create a culture of self-sufficiency for Marion and Polk County women and their families. YWCA Salem: 503.581.9922 or www.ywcasalem.org
Articles for August 13, 2012 | Articles for August 14, 2012 | Articles for August 15, 2012