Thursday September 29, 2022
SNc Channels:



Dec-15-2008 13:26printcomments

Remains of Six Americans Killed in Vietnam War Come Home

The men were aboard a C-130 Hercules that was shot down in 1968.

C-130 over Vietnam
C-130 over Vietnam

(WASHINGTON, D.C.) - The Department of Defense POW/Missing Personnel Office (DPMO) announced today that the group remains of six U.S. servicemen, missing from the Vietnam War, are soon to be buried with full military honors.

They are Major Bernard L. Bucher, of Eureka, Illinois; Maj. John L. McElroy, of Eminence, Kentucky; 1st Lieutenant Stephen C. Moreland, of Los Angeles; and Staff Sergeant Frank M. Hepler, of Glenside, Pennsylvania, all U.S. Air Force. These men will be buried as a group on December 18th in Arlington National Cemetery near Washington, D.C.

Two other servicemen, who were individually identified in October 2007, are also represented in this group. They are Capt. Warren R. Orr Jr., U.S. Army, of Kewanee, Illinois, and Airman 1st Class George W. Long, U.S. Air Force, of Medicine, Kansas.

Representatives from the Air Force and the Army mortuary offices met with the next-of-kin of these men to explain the recovery and identification process and to coordinate interment with military honors on behalf of the secretary of the Air Force and the secretary of the Army.

On May 12, 1968, these men were on board a C-130 Hercules evacuating Vietnamese citizens from the Kham Duc Special Forces Camp near Da Nang, South Vietnam. While taking off, the crew reported taking heavy enemy ground fire. A forward air controller flying in the area reported seeing the plane explode in mid-air soon after leaving the runway.

According to, on May 12th 1968, shortly after 1200 hours, the decision was made to immediately extract all personnel from the beleaguered camp. This evacuation was disorderly and, at times, on the verge of complete panic.

To aid in the evacuation of US military personnel, along with South Vietnamese troops and their families, the Air Force assigned a C130B (serial #60-0297) from Mactan Airbase, Phillippines to Kham Duc.

The aircrew was comprised of Maj. Bernard Bucher, pilot; 1st Lt. Stephen Moreland, co-pilot; Maj. John McElroy, navigator; SSgt. Frank Hepler, flight engineer; and Airman George Long, loadmaster.

Also aboard the aircraft was Capt. Warren Orr, Jr., a Special Forces civil affairs officer whose job it was to assist in getting as many of the civilians out of Kham Duc as possible. The C130B landed at the Special Forces Camp amidst the chaos of battle and immediately began taking on as many passengers as it could hold.

Maj. Bucher reportedly took off while under an intense enemy mortar and small arms attack. A Forward Air Controller (FAC) in the area watched the Hercules as it lumbered into the air, then reported seeing the aircraft explode in a fireball in mid-air approximately 1 mile from the end of the airstrip and crash into the jungle below.

It was believed that all crew and passengers aboard perished as the aircraft was quickly consumed by fire destroying everything but the tail boom. Because of the intense enemy presence in the area, no ground search of the area was possible. All Air Force members of the flight crew were listed Killed in Action/ Body Not Recovered.

The question was raised later if Capt. Warren Orr actually boarded the aircraft prior to its departure. A Vietnamese soldier reported he saw Capt. Orr board the aircraft after everyone else was aboard and before the tailgate closed. However, because no American could actually place Capt. Orr on the C130B, he was listed Missing in Action.

Between July 18th-21th 1970 and again from August 17th-20th 1970, search and recovery teams returned to Kham Duc to search for the remains of those Americans who were missing and unaccounted for.

During these trips, personnel from Graves Registration were unable to locate the wreckage of the C130B to search for remains. This was in part due to the fact that the surrounding area is covered with double and triple canopy growth and finding the crash site after this period of time without the aid of modern technology was extremely difficult. Another factor was the Vietnam War was still in full swing and much of the territory around Kham Duc was controlled by the Communists.

For the aircrew of the Hercules, there is no doubt of their fate. However, they have the right to have their remains returned to their families, friends and country. For Warren Orr and many other Americans who remain unaccounted for in Indochina, their fate could be quite different.

Since the end of the Vietnam War well over 21,000 reports of American prisoners, missing and otherwise unaccounted for have been received by our government. Many of these reports document live America Prisoners of War remaining captive throughout Southeast Asia today.

In 1986 and 1991, U.S. officials received remains and identification tags from sources claiming they belonged to men from this incident. Scientific analysis revealed they were not American remains, but it was believed the Vietnamese sources knew where the crash site was located.

In 1993, a joint/U.S.-Socialist Republic of Vietnam (SRV) team, led by the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC), traveled to Kham Duc and interviewed four local citizens concerning the incident. They led the team to the crash site and turned over remains and identification tags they had recovered in 1983 while looking for scrap metal. During this visit, the team recovered human remains and aircraft wreckage at the site. In 1994, another joint team excavated the crash site and recovered remains, pieces of life-support equipment, crew-related gear and personal effects.

JPAC scientists used forensic identification tools and circumstantial evidence in the identification of the remains.

Comments Leave a comment on this story.

All comments and messages are approved by people and self promotional links or unacceptable comments are denied.

Bobbie Hilligoss, February 7, 2010, February 7, 2010 6:21 pm (Pacific time)

In 1968 I received a copper bracelet with Capt. Warren Orr Jr. engraved on the bracelet. I wore the bracelet until I was affraid it would break. I have kept that bracelet for 43 years. I had the opportunity to visit Washington, DC and found Capt. Orr on the wall. I did find out that his remains were found and sent home. If his birthday is correct on the paperwork availabe from the Army, Capt. Orr was born on March 20th. I was born on March 2nd and my Mother's birthday was March 20th. Capt. Orr and I were 3 years apart in age. He would bave been 65 this year and I will turn 63. I want Capt. Orr's family to know that I have often wondered how his family were doing. I had many friend's in the service during the Viet Nam War. My thanks to the family of Capt. Warren Orr, Jr. The fact that you now have closure must be a comfort to the family. We all owe so much to the men and women in our armed forces. May God Bless the Orr Family and all our troops in foreign countries now. I live in Modesto, CA. I spent 27 years on the East Coast. I raised my family in Connecticut then after they were grown I was divorced and returned to care for my elderly parents, since expired. Again, to the Orr Family, bless you all for the sacrifices you have endured. With my sincere appreciation for Capt. Warren Orr, Jr. I wish I had known him, he was a fine man. Sincerely, Roberta Hilligoss Modesto, CA 209-525-8474

G/2-3; December 28, 2008 9:53 pm (Pacific time)

You were not forgotten.Thanks S-N for confirming this.

Editor: One Marine to another; there is another C-130 story that had several individuals who were reported as alive for years.   That one is even more disturbing.  For those who haven't seen it, here is the link: Remains of C-130 Crew Missing From Vietnam War Recovered.  Far too little attention is focused on the remaining possibilities of live Americans in Vietnam; it used to be a much larger subject until Senators John McCain and John Kerry used their political office to derail the hopes of the families of missing Prisoners of War..

John McCain and John Kerry angered POW/MIA families and activists during the 1991-92 Senate Select Committee on POW and MIA Affairs. Kerry was co-chairman and McCain was a committee member. The Select Committee was tasked with resolving the lingering POW/MIA issue by either gaining the release of American prisoners of war believed to be alive under the control of Hanoi, or explaining what happened to the missing prisoners. They opted for the latter.

At the time, POW/MIA families were outraged by the tactics of both McCain and Kerry. In all likelihood, there was a reason for forcing the families to abandon hope.

Ted Sampley says that in hindsight, "it is obvious that McCain and Kerry were more interested in using the Select Committee as a means to justify lifting the U.S. imposed trade embargo against Vietnam than resolving the issue of missing U.S. servicemen."

McCain went to a lot of effort to say that no POWs could be alive. But years after the war was officially over, in 1979, a Marine named Robert Garwood emerged from Vietnam. It proved that we did not know everything we thought we knew.


Christina December 15, 2008 9:26 pm (Pacific time)

I am touched by the perseverance and kindness of DPMO to never give up bringing closure and some comfort to the grieving families.

[Return to Top]
©2022 All opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of

Articles for December 14, 2008 | Articles for December 15, 2008 | Articles for December 16, 2008
Use PayPal to

Your customers are looking: Advertise on!

Tribute to Palestine and to the incredible courage, determination and struggle of the Palestinian People. ~Dom Martin

Donate to and help us keep the news flowing! Thank you.

Annual Hemp Festival & Event Calendar