Tuesday March 26, 2019
Jan-13-2007 15:59TweetFollow @OregonNews
Two Salem House Fires Involve natural Gas LeakSalem-News.com
Nobody was injured in the early afternoon two-alarm fire.
(SALEM) - Fire investigators in Salem say a natural gas leak made fighting multiple house fires on Pullman Ave SE more difficult Saturday afternoon. They aren't sure at this point if the leak was a result of damage from the blaze, or if it may have actually started the fire in the first place.
Fire crews rolled out at 1:13 PM Saturday to the first reported fire, located at 4775 Pullman Ave SE. Salem Fire Spokesman Joe Parrott says the first firefighters arrived three minutes after the alarm to find fire burning on the outside of one home and extending to an adjacent home at 4795 Pullman Ave SE. He says firefighters quickly called a second alarm.
"Firefighting was hampered by a leaking natural gas meter that was feeding the fire. NW Natural Gas responded to help secure the leak. Witnesses reporting hearing a small explosion and then seeing fire between the homes."
Parrott says it is uncertain at this time whether the leaking natural gas was the cause of the fire or whether the natural gas meter was damaged as a result of the fire. Fire investigators are on scene working to determine a cause.
The home at 4775 Pullman Ave SE is owned by Johnny and Sally Galver. No one was home at 4795 Pullman Ave SE at the time of the fire.
Parrott says there were no injuries reported.
Articles for January 12, 2007 | Articles for January 13, 2007 | Articles for January 14, 2007