Sunday August 19, 2018
Jul-23-2006 22:11TweetFollow @OregonNews
Keizer Apartment Fire a Close CallSalem-news.com
Nobody was hurt in the fire that investigators say was started with fireworks.
(KEIZER) - Firefighters in Keizer were able to keep a fire from entering the units at an apartment complex Sunday, but the blaze that started in some shrubs at the Churchdale Apartments set fire to another home and a car before it was over.
Keizer Fire's Rod Conway says the District was dispatched at 5:22 PM Sunday to the Churchdale Apartments where bushes were reportedly on fire, with later reports of an apartment on fire. It was reported that a local youth had thrown burning fireworks into the bush, starting the fire.
Conway says Keizer Fire sent several units and were backed up by Marion County Fire District #1 for mutual aid, with a total of 15 firefighters on the scene.
Keizer Fire District crews arrived at 218 Churchdale Ave N to find arborvitae shrubs on fire, as well as the deck to one unit.
Fire damage to the apartments was contained to the outside of several units, but not before the fire damaged a house next door and one automobile at another nearby complex, says Conway. "There were no occupant injuries from the fire, nor were there any heat-related problems with fire suppression crews during a very hot afternoon."
The apartments are owned by David & Elizabeth Guyette of Burns, Oregon
Damage to the Churchdale Apartments is estimated at $15,000, damage to the home next door is estimated at $4,000, and damage to the automobile is estimated at $2,000
Investigators say the fire was started by a juvenile who tossed legal fireworks into the bushes. Keizer Police have cited the juvenile who lives in the complex with reckless burning.
Articles for July 22, 2006 | Articles for July 23, 2006 | Articles for July 24, 2006
Sign Up Now!