Saturday March 28, 2020
SNc Channels:



Dec-01-2009 20:04printcomments

Bizarre Story in Salem of Kidnapping, Abuse, Death and Survival

Detectives are especially interested in talking to anyone who may have seen anything in the parking lot near Target/Cold Stone Creamery.

50-year old Mickey Jarrell
50-year old Mickey Jarrell shot himself after he was confronted by a Marion County deputy.

(SALEM, Ore.) - We knew last night that a developing story involving Domestic Abuse, Kidnapping, a shooting death and a possible bomb laden vehicle, was serious, but we had no idea that it involved such a harrowing story of a victim barely surviving an incident that lasted for hours, and saw the young woman bound, duct taped, and even placed in the trunk of the suspect's car.

Perhaps the strong point of this tragic story is the fact that the female victim survived. Just days ago, a male assaulted a woman he had been involved with, and shot her dead in a hair salon in Hillsboro. In this case, the victim lived, and she provided information to investigators that allowed them to resolve the incident without firing any shots.

Lt. Sheila Lorance says the Marion County Sheriff's Office first heard from the victim Monday at 4:30 p.m. when she called from Hancock Fabrics on Center Street in Salem, to report the Kidnapping and Domestic Assault. reporter Austin King noted serious activity in the parking lot at this point as deputies continued to arrive on the scene. As they made contact with the victim, 22-year old Brittany Caudle, of Salem, deputies went from one retail establishment to the next, advising employees to remain inside.

Lorance says Caudle explained to investigators that her estranged boyfriend, 50-year old Mickey Jarrell, had attacked her at the residence they once shared and then taken her against her will earlier that day.

"Caudle reported that she had broken up with Jarrell 3 days prior and had called him on 11-30-09, because she needed to pick something up from the house. He told her he wouldn't be there and said she could go into the house to pick up her things."

SNC's Jerry Freeman interviews Marion County Lt. Sheila Lorance

Lorance says the woman believed Jarrell, but would turn out to be a serious mistake. When Caudle arrived at the house on Midway at 10:30 a.m. Jarrell was hiding in the garage and physically attacked her.

"He drug her back inside the house, bound her mouth and face with duct tape causing her to pass out. When she came to her hands and feet were bound with zip ties and Jarrell took her outside and put her in the back of the vehicle she drove to the residence. He then drove to the parking lot of a nearby strip mall on Center Street."

This is the parking lot for Hancock Fabric and Target and several other businesses.

"Caudle's hands and feet were still bound and her mouth covered in duct tape when Jarrell took her out of her vehicle and transferred her into the trunk of his car that he had parked in the parking lot. Jarrell also took her cell phone and threw it into the bushes near Cold Stone Creamery and then drove for about 10 minutes with Caudle bound and restrained in the trunk of the vehicle."

Caudle says while she was in the back of her vehicle, she was able to find a screw driver and conceal it in her clothing and while she was in the trunk she was able to free her hands.

Lorance said it was a short lived effort.

"Jarrell stopped the vehicle in a rural area and when he opened the trunk he let Caudle get out but put new zip ties on her hands. Jarrell put her in the front seat of his car and connected padlocks to each of the zip ties and tied her to the seat."

The suspect then reportedly covered her in blankets and pillows so no one could see the restraints and drove toward Woodburn.

Bomb squad on scene in Salem. Photo: Austin King

"Caudle reported that they drove I-84 all the way to The Dalles and while driving Jarrell confessed to committing several armed robberies at the Woodburn Outlet Mall. Caudle said he also talked about making bombs and bomb making supplies."

Oregon lost two bomb squad technicians and saw the severe injury of a third take place last December. It is something they take very seriously.

Lorance says Caudle eventually convinced Jarrell that she would stay with him and he turned around at The Dallas, and headed back to Salem.

"During the drive Jarrell took a revolver he had on the drivers side floorboard and removed four rounds out of the revolver and gave them to Caudle. He kept one round and told her he was saving it for himself and said if he was confronted by the police he would use it on himself. As they got closer to Salem Caudle asked about her vehicle and said they should stop and pick it up so he returned to the parking lot and allowed her to exit the vehicle and told her to follow him back to his residence."

Caudle followed Jarrell for a short distance and then made a sharp turn and went back to the shopping mall, Lorance said. She went into Hancock Fabric and at 4:30 p.m. called 9-1-1.

Marion County deputies and detectives made contact with Caudle and began to gather the details about the reported kidnapping.

After learning the circumstances, a deputy went to Jarrell's residence on Midway to see if his car was there, Lorance said.

Bomb squad on scene in Salem. Photo: Dustin Reitzer

"The deputy didn't see the car but a few minutes later the garage door opened and he observed Jarrell backing out. The deputy gave verbal commands for Jarrell to stop the vehicle and when he did so he exited the vehicle holding a revolver which he held at his own head."

"The deputy continued to give verbal commands directing Jarrell to drop the weapon but he refused to do so. At no point did Jarrell point the weapon at the deputy and the deputy did not have to fire his weapon. However, moments later Jarrell pulled the trigger and took his own life."

Detectives continued to interview Caudle at the Salem Hospital where she was treated for her injuries and released. They are continuing to investigate the robberies Jarrell confessed to and ask that if you have any information regarding the robberies or the kidnapping/assault that you contact the Sheriff's office at 503 540-8007.

"Detectives are especially interested in talking to anyone who may have seen anything in the parking lot near Target/Cold Stone Creamery," Lorance added.

"The Marion County Sheriff's Office would like to thank the Salem Police Department for their assistance during this incident. Salem Officers helped cover calls throughout the County during the investigation and the Salem Bomb Squad who assisted to make sure the vehicle and residence were clear."


Jerry Freeman, Austin King, Dustin Reitzer and Jess Basl contributed to this story, special thanks to Sheila Lorance with the Marion County Sheriff's Office.

Comments Leave a comment on this story.

All comments and messages are approved by people and self promotional links or unacceptable comments are denied.

November 9, 2010 9:04 am (Pacific time)

why would you date a 50 year old and you are only 22 years old there is a complete different age different between you guys and he has more ways and thinks a lot better then you do .

Winder December 3, 2009 7:01 am (Pacific time)

The optimal outcome. Take note sociopathic or just plain psycho types: If you just take yourself out, rather than taking innocent others with you, God may have more mercy on your pitiful soul.

[Return to Top]
©2020 All opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of

Articles for November 30, 2009 | Articles for December 1, 2009 | Articles for December 2, 2009


Your customers are looking: Advertise on!

Annual Hemp Festival & Event Calendar

Sean Flynn was a photojournalist in Vietnam, taken captive in 1970 in Cambodia and never seen again.

The NAACP of the Willamette Valley