Saturday September 21, 2019
Jul-10-2014 07:10TweetFollow @OregonNews
Another Home in Portland Damaged by FireworksSalem-News.com Staff
A firework, "legal" in Oregon state, had been lit by a 13-year-old boy on the second floor of the home.
(PORTLAND, Ore. ) - Portland firefighters once again had to respond to a house fire caused by fireworks.
At 1:42 p.m. on Wednesday, a neighbor of 6022 NE Failing reported that there was fire and smoke that could be seen from a second story window. When fire crews arrived they found the upper level of a two story home at the above address was fully involved with fire.
Complicating efforts, fire crews worked to extinguish the fire in 80 plus degree temperatures. After searching the home for potential victims and collecting information from witnesses, fire crews were able to confirm that everyone had made it out safely.
Fire investigators were called to the scene and determined that a firework, "legal" in Oregon state, had been lit by a 13-year-old boy on the second floor of the home.
The firework was tossed out a window but wind may have blown hot sparks back into the room and smoldered without immediate notice. Some of the residents were still inside the home when the 9-1-1 call was placed by multiple neighbors including one off-duty Portland firefighter.
No injuries to firefighters, residents or pets were reported.
PF&R has made public education in fireworks safety a priority. Oregon State law prohibits any fireworks that explode or fly; but this case is a reminder that even using "legal" fireworks can be extremely dangerous.
Firework Safety Tips:
Always light fireworks outside on a non-flammable surface and according to manufacture directions.
Keep a bucket of water nearby and completely submerse spent fireworks after they have been allowed to cool down for at least 45-60 minutes and leave overnight.
Children with fireworks should always be supervised by an adult.
Articles for July 9, 2014 | Articles for July 10, 2014 | Articles for July 11, 2014