Sunday August 19, 2018
Jul-15-2013 14:30TweetFollow @OregonNews
The War Rages On...Jennifer Fierberg, MSW Salem-News.com
The Land of a Thousand Hills is now accusing the land of a thousand rumors of bombing on its territory.
(WASHINGTON DC) - Rwanda has released a series of tweets stating that the arm in DRC (FARDC) has shelled two areas on Rwanda. No injuries were reported as of publication. Further, Rwanda’s proxy army, the M23 rebel group, is accusing FARDC of imbedding FDLR (Hutu rebels in DRC) and assisting them in fighting the M23. This alphabet soup of a situation all boils down to Rwanda wanting to attack Eastern DRC because the M23 is being slowly but surely obliterated. They are putting up a good fight but their situation is dire and Rwanda needs to save face and maintain their access to the minerals that line their pockets. Unconfirmed reports state that Rwanda is forming another rebel group to take the place of the M23. The UN brigade is on high alert and active in the region.
The fastest, yet unpredictable, way of getting information on the region is through twitter. Knowing who to follow for up to the minute reports is key. Below is a list of tweets from just the last few hours from sources all over the region. Sources include the Government of Rwanda, journalists, the UN, civilians in the region and major news outlets. You will begin to see the pattern of Rwanda tweeting and making statements about how they are under attack, despite the fact that they have been invading the region for the last 19 years, and will most certainly use this opportunity to bring their forces into the DRC. This war is far from over but it looks as though things are changing quickly.
Tweets from July 15, 2013 on the situation in Eastern DRC:
• DR Congo says 130 dead in army-rebel clashes
• The New Times : There are reports that FARDC (RDC Army) shelled different locations in two districts in western Rwanda.
• #Rwanda complains to UN SecCouncil about new UN #Congo intervention brigade, says it colludes with FLDR
• now that their #m23 team is losing #Kigali desperate to move the goalposts
• RDF tweet: 2 Bombs land in Rwanda territory, at Busasamana, Rubavu, District at 15h05 from DRC area controlled by MONUSCO and FARDC.
• M23: 'Yes we wer hit&fighting is still going on, we lost some fighters, loosing forces on the battle is normal' #M23 fighter. #DRC
• Meanwhile, the ADF-NALU continues wreaking havoc in far North Kivu, with little response from anyone: (Kagame created an ADF group two days ago so it is not clear the ADF is the Ugandan rebel group.)
• Young people from Kanyaruchinya fed up with M23, attacked them with knives on Saturday:
• M23 & govt forces engaged in heavy fighting just 7km from Goma town in #DRC (Key Rwandan Gov person) • Congo's army claims it has killed 120 M23 rebels in fresh fighting in eastern
• FDLR: FARDC has UN support. It has no interest in FDLR assistance.But RDF has sent more saboteurs to ambush and kill UN, as locals
• +- 66000 refugees frm #DRC have entered Uganda: http://alturl.com/4sxpd How long @UN will keep watching this and shy away from its sponsor ?
• #DRC: #MONUSCO will soon have surveillance drones to monitor developments on the ground in eastern Congo
• Any attempt by the #M23 to advance toward #Goma will be considered a direct threat to civilians, #MONUSCO said
• #Rwanda, in letter to @UN, accuses #Congo Intervention Brigade of "tactical + strategic" collaboration with #FDLR
• M23: Kabila should bear all consequences of what is happening now around Goma, bcoz he refused 2 sign the cease fire. M23 Fighter's moral is high
• Congo army kills 120 M23 rebels: Spokesman (from @AP)
• #DRC: Given the #FIB has not even really started operating, the "credible, reliable and detailed information" #Rwanda has of #FDLR collaboration might be a fiercely refuted as #Rwanda dismisses #M23 allegations on their side. Again, #PR war..
• #Rwanda Gov is looking for excuses to enter North Kivu openly and save #M23 before it gets wiped out by #DRC army
• RDF openly/desperately making pro-M23 statements: "@RwandaMoD: Since Sunday 14 July, FARDC & MONUSCO fighting M23. FDLR embedded in FARDC."
• The UN Force Intervention seems to be deployed in full force. Arrival of more logs today
• DR Congo: #UN blue helmets on 'high alert' as M23 rebels advance towards
People are dying every day in this war while thousands more flee to safer regions. Innocent victims are in the line of fire and too many lives have been lost. The UN Brigade in the region remains in full force and their effectiveness in the area will be seen in the days to come. Rwanda’s actions will be very telling also as the situation unfolds.
Jennifer Fierberg is a social worker in the US working on peace and justice issues in Africa with an emphasis on the crisis in Rwanda and throughout the central region of Africa. Her articles have been published on many humanitarian sites that are also focused on changing the world through social, political and personal action.
Jennifer has extensive background working with victims of trauma and domestic violence, justice matters as well as individual and family therapy. Passionate and focused on bringing the many humanitarian issues that plague the African Continent to the awareness of the developed world in order to incite change. She is a correspondent, Assistant Editor, and Volunteer Coordinator for NGO News Africa through the volunteer project of the UN. Jennifer was also the media co-coordinator and senior funding executive for The Africa Global Village. You can write to Jennifer at email@example.com. Jennifer comes to www.Salem-News.com with a great deal of experience and passion for working to stop human right violation in Africa.
Articles for July 14, 2013 | Articles for July 15, 2013 | Articles for July 16, 2013