Tuesday December 12, 2017
SNc Channels:

Search
About Salem-News.com

 

Aug-01-2014 16:51printcomments

Health Advisory Issued for Devils Lake on Oregon Coast

Swallowing or inhaling water, as well as skin contact with water, should be avoided. Drinking water directly from Devils Lake is especially dangerous.

Devils Lake
A health advisory was issued Friday due to high levels of blue-green algae and toxins in Devils Lake, located just south of Lincoln City in Lincoln County. Photo Courtesy: Oregon State Parks

(LINCOLN CITY, Ore. ) - A health advisory was issued Friday due to high levels of blue-green algae and toxins in Devils Lake, located just south of Lincoln City in Lincoln County.

Water monitoring has confirmed the presence of high levels of cyanotoxins produced by blue-green algae. These dangerous cyanotoxin concentrations in the water can be harmful to humans and animals.

Swallowing or inhaling water droplets, as well as skin contact with water, should be avoided. Drinking water directly from Devils Lake is especially dangerous.

Oregon Public Health Division officials advise campers and other recreational visitors that toxins cannot be removed by boiling, filtering or treating the water with camping-style filters.

People who draw in-home water directly from Devils Lake are advised to use an alternative water source because private treatment systems are not proven effective at removing algae toxins. However, public drinking water systems can reduce algae toxins through proper filtration and disinfection. If people on public water systems have questions about treatment and testing, they should contact their water supplier.

Oregon health officials recommend that people who choose to eat fish from waters where algae blooms are present remove all fat, skin and organs before cooking, because toxins are more likely to collect in these tissues.

Public health officials also advise that people not eat freshwater clams or mussels from affected water, and that Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife regulations do not allow the harvest of these shellfish from freshwater sources. Crayfish muscle can be eaten, but internal organs and liquid fat should be discarded.

Exposure to toxins can produce symptoms of numbness, tingling and dizziness that can lead to difficulty breathing or heart problems, and require immediate medical attention. Symptoms of skin irritation, weakness, diarrhea, nausea, cramps and fainting should also receive medical attention if they persist or worsen. Children and pets are at increased risk for exposure because of their size and level of activity.

The public will be advised when the concern no longer exists.

With proper precautions to avoid water contact, people are encouraged to visit Devils Lake and enjoy activities such as camping, hiking, biking, picnicking, fishing and bird watching. Boating is safe as long as speeds do not create excessive water spray, which could lead to inhalation risk.

Source: Oregon Health Authority




Comments Leave a comment on this story.
Name:

All comments and messages are approved by people and self promotional links or unacceptable comments are denied.


[Return to Top]
©2017 Salem-News.com. All opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Salem-News.com.


Articles for July 31, 2014 | Articles for August 1, 2014 | Articles for August 2, 2014
Annual Hemp Festival & Event Calendar


Steele`s Karate
In Salem
Sign Up Now!

Donate to Salem-News.com and help us keep the news flowing! Thank you.

Tribute to Palestine and to the incredible courage, determination and struggle of the Palestinian People. ~Dom Martin

googlec507860f6901db00.html